Home » Didactic Course Work » HPPA 552 Clinical Correlations Final Reflection

HPPA 552 Clinical Correlations Final Reflection

I really enjoyed the second semester of clinical correlations.  The cases we did with Dr. Beckerman were very helpful and talking through the cases with my group helped to work through another disease process. It was great to see the progression of our skills as we progressed through didactic year and note how our knowledge of different disease processes expanded throughout this semester.  I used Up-to-Date most frequently to obtain the tasks for my assignments each week and feel as though I will continue to use it as a resource during my clinical practice.

Professor Lopez put a new spin on the class and worked with us to know and understand the medicine in a way that is more similar to the clinical setting and always challenged us to think about what’s next.  I appreciated this approach and feel it was very helpful for me.  I know I am verbose but this class really highlighted that for me in a way that encourages me to be more succinct when giving presentations / writing medial notes.  It also prompted me to work on my ability to build a differential diagnosis list, something I will continue to do throughout clinical year.  It is important that I am able to compile a list that makes sense with the patients presenting conditions and this course highlighted that as something I want to work on as I continue my studies.

My approach to this class is consistent with my peers; in that, my presentations were rooted in the medicine.  One thing I noted one of my peers did early on was to relate your presentation back to the case and the patient we were studying and I thought that was hugely beneficial and something that I adopted into my presentations immediately.  While it seems obvious, often, I got lost in finding the right information and ensuring I had accurate details.  I think students moving forward should be hyperaware of this fact because it helps to decipher whether or not their disease is a diagnosis that they can make for the patient or use their findings to say otherwise.

I really liked Dr. Davidson’s approach to tick-borne illnesses.  It was beyond helpful to learn about each of the different disease states and their respective presentations.  It carried over to almost every other course we took this semester and that foundation of knowledge was hugely beneficial to me.  I also like the neurology cases where we discussed different disease states (MS, Parkinson’s, etc) and each student was responsible to present a high level overview of a singular disease.  The rapid review was very helpful and applicable to our other classes as well.